When the going gets tough, the tough work out
Thursday was a rest day after three great workouts, way too much emotional stress, not enough sleep and a topping of grief. It’d been a rough week already and then things got much worse, when I found out one of my two girlfriends in Portland had died.¹ I’ll be posting about that more in depth later, whether I make the post public or not (probably not). I’ve been intermittently crying and doing artwork this morning. Think I’ve got my shit back together now. Still working on the Hawthorne Bridge piece, the one that’s on the subpar Arches hot press. I was too happy with the composition to abandon the piece after discovering the paper has no lift or resistance to scrubbing. I decided to just forge ahead, because I wasn’t about to start over and it’s not a commissioned piece.
It is still on archival, rag paper that is very expensive to purchase today, and I’m spending some time on it. Plus it’s larger than usual. Not that I’ll have any takers, but I think the pricetag is going to be at least $600, maybe $700.
I was going to work out late afternoon, but I realized I need a Prismacolor blending pencil, and this is one of those things that Amazon charges 4x as much for, and the shipping is too slow and expensive. I’ll run down there. It’ll be good for me anyway. I’ve done about as much as I should on this piece before picking them up anyway.
Julia’s is my favorite channel but I thought I’d try out another Michele, and I’m glad I did…. There’s a different sort of focus which is nice for a change of pace. I did my own warm-up as per usual. Normally I’d stretch after but I took a long time, so I just picked up & hit stop. I’ll be practicing yoga tomorrow afternoon, so… Gotta get that 2nd asthanga in for the week.
Warmup: (10/30×6=4min) jump rope
This was an excellent workout. The 3rd circuit was the hardest, for me.
Circuit 1: 3 Rounds @ 5:39 1st round w/ video, 2nd & 3rd w/ list
1. Right Side Lunge to Snatch (hold) R. Front Lunge – L. Elbow to Knee 15x 10lbs + 8lb vest. Could’ve done 12 here but didn’t want to bump it up to 15. This move involves two press-ups, w/ a quick one after the lunge crunch, going back to return.
2. Left Side Lunge to Snatch (hold) L. Front Lunge – R. Elbow to Knee
3. Lay on Floor Crunch Knees in & Press Out w/Alternating twist 20x 1=1 Took vest off here, rounds 2 & 3
½ Burpee to Clean & Press 10x two, 20lb weights
Circuit 2: 3 Rounds @ 22:30 Same here, round 1 with video. These moves are complex, but if previewed experientially right before hand, just fine from memory.
1. Right Side Lunge – Circle weight Around & Right Knee Crunch 15x 10lb dumbbell+ 8lb vest, holding weight w/ both hands
2. Left Side Lunge – Circle Weight around & Left Knee Crunch
3. Hoving Star Crunch 20x This move is dead easy & enjoyable for me. One thing about stress is it’s good for my abs, however, I can tell my body is fighting off what attacked C’s throat this week. I could’ve put on ankle weights but screw that, lol.
Snatch (Hold OH) 2x Reverse Lunge 10x two, 15lb weights Stabilization is still a lot of work for me, holding weights OH w/ straight arms, so this was plenty enough weight for me here. Otherwise I’d have bumped moves 1 & 2 up to 15. I’d get to count 7 here & be, “nopes”.
Circuit 3: 3 Rounds @ 36:25
1. Right Arm Turkish Get Up 10x 10lbs Not a fan of these – in fact I dislike them as much as manmakers – but M’s group seems to love them. And wow, the 10s killed me round one, but since I suffered thru the first side & suffered thru the 2nd and then dropped to 8lbs for round 2. Even that weight was tough by the 7th rep. I’m starting to get the hang of them tho & will grudgingly admit they seem like a really good, fullbody move.
2. Left Arm Turkish Get Up
3. Squat Low – lower back to Floor – Hold- V-Up Crunch – Roll up to Stand 10x 8lb weight, not crossing ankles to stand
Chair Sit ½ Burpee (two, 10lb weights) 10x Did a front raise in the chair pose w/ palms facing down
Circuit 4: 3 Rounds @ 59:55
1. Right Side Plank Hip Dip to Kick Front 15x I staked the feet in side plank rather than placing top foot on the floor. I get more work in the outer thigh of the bottom, supporting leg this way
2. Left Side Plank Hip Dip to Kick Front 15x
3. Buzz Saw Plank 15x on elbows, shifting weight forward & back
4x Plank Jack to Hop Feet in Wide Squat Hold (add little, low hop?) 10x
Bonus: Abs 15/45 @ 1:13
1. Right Leg (Left on bench) Tap out right & back up Glute Raise I thought I was gonna add ankle weights here, lol. Nope!!!
2. Left Leg (Right on bench) Tap out left & back up Glute Raise
3 Pike Slider Crunch
Bear Crawl Hovering Plank w/ pelvic tilt
4. Decline Plank Hold (Contract Abdominals) Pelvic Tilt
5. R. Reverse Lunge Hold – Weight in Right hand & contract Left Obliques 10lbs 1st round, 2nd round was 15lbs. I could’ve done 20 tho.
6. L. Reverse Lunge Hold – Weight in Left hand & contract Right Obliques
7. Right Leg V-Up Changed this to oblique crunches in the 2nd round, w/ 1-leg crossed over the other, to take the hip flexors completely out of it
8. Left leg V-Up
video time 1:31. I took about 1:52 b/c of stopping to write notes, catching up to the right place in the video to start the next set, etc.
¹If you don’t have regular income and you don’t have coworkers you’re not going to be forming any social circles. Not to be too selfish because for my friend, death was a release from a life that had become unbearable. #toopoortohang #isolation