At least I did it! Was gonna bail because the pets’ rabies update clinic took a lot longer than expected. But I did it. No warmup & I was sore from an upper body WO yesterday. And then my HR monitor crapped out a half hour in, so I knew the whole time I wouldn’t have stats. (I don’t know why they motivate me but do.)
Well… Got going slowly today for no real reason. Hemmed & haw-d about what WO to do. I could take a rest day but I don’t want to. In the mood for another moderate WO. So no jump rope before hand. Just a little stretching. Then I did more after. Quads really sore!
Hiit set 50:10 2x 10 mins Great warm-up set
1. Weighted walk out plank front raises walk back 10s
2. Traffic director lunges 10s
3. Squat hold Burpee with front raise in squat 10s
4. SSD seated Arnold press 20s
5. Commando jack to pike push-up
Paused for 10breath quad stretch ea side
Tabata cardio circuit 20:10 do as a circuit 4x 8 mins
1. Squat jack weight touch down and press 10s
2. Dumbbell battle ropes (light weights)1st rnd – 10s, then 5s which was too light. Next time hold the 5s & 3s together.
3. Hands and knees (table top) front raise to fly 10 GREAT core work in trying to keep the body tight while doing those 2 moves.
4. Wall runners shoulder taps
Superset: 3x √, √, √ 10:44 Hadda take a break after ea round to rest quads. Seriously grateful breakdown doesn’t call for 4. I HATE four rounds, lol.
1. 8 OH rev lunges/leg sandbag Discovered that I CAN keep handles on lengthwise handles & clean, but the handles are so long & I am so petite I can’t really get much of a press UP there, lol. Started over on last round to change grips to do the OH lunges. I have to use the ones w/ the shorter straps.
2. 5 Bear crawl fwd (4 “steps) to box commando up incline pushup bear craw back 2 squat jumps The push-up is the rest here! Quad rest. Realized I’m not sure if opp hand from foot is how bear crawl is supposed to go. That’s the way I settled on.
Superset: 3x √, √, √ 8:55
1. 8 front raise and drive 15 Front raise. Twist 1 way, then the other way & down.
2. 8 Decline tricep
pike push-up Burpee bent arm lateral raise 10s On weights for pike push-up. Changed the push-up style b/c of left tri weak spot. Couldn’t get any decent range of pike motion @ that angle w/out it complaining.
Burnout: 50:10, 40:10, 30:10, 20:10 @34:25
1. Clean and press + to
OH squat 20s +ppl band, I should try to learn how to clean & press the sandbag withOUT changing grips, so I can do a continual move like this, b/c also that’s the only way I can squat safely w/ weight OH. I’ve tried! It’s better w/ a sandbag than even as light as 15s. Didn’t want to bother w/ it today tho.
2. Alt SA snatches 20
3. Weighted jab/cross/hook/elbow 5s
4. Commando jack + commando up angry donkey
5. Squat & press up palms facing in + eccentric lateral lower 10s
1:06 Maybe Julia was “efficient & fast” lol.
About 35min. Suryas & fundamentals. (As with handstands & standing back bends). Also the hanuman & samakona in there b/c not saving anything up.) Then dandasana & paschimo, finishing to fish. Why is that pose the one Sanskrit name I can NEVER remember? Usually I look it up but screw it.
I could feel that left tricep thing in the surya Bs and really tried to bounce my weight past it. Was gonna maybe do Astanga tomorrow but we’ll see. Either that or a rest day I’d say.
Not sure how, since I am generally practicing once or, at most & not too often, twice a week, but I almost had a wrist bind in Supta Kurmasana today. And overall my practice was surprisingly fluid, considering
My glutes are still REALLY sore from my Sunday WO.
Didn’t really mean to take a rest day yesterday, New Year’s. Normally I make a point to workout hard that day. But we’d stayed up much later than usual by accident. Went to bed at 1am, and since I can’t sleep past day break with my two kitties…
We got Theodora’s application in for the big, grueling, 4-day event at the Portland Airport Holiday Inn at the end of this month. That’s the closest I get to air travel, since I left the NYC garmentos in my rearview.
Warmup: (10/30×6=4min) jump rope
I went at a good clip. Still doing a non-vinyasa, Linda style Ardha Matseyendrasana before Pashasana. The Kapo B prep varies according to what I feel I need any particular day. Tweaks have mostly subsided so I did less than last time. My only real news is that I added one Pinca Mayurasana after my ticks. I didn’t want to do it before them, because the ticks are important to check off the list.
I’d have to work to learn how to pike the legs up straight again. This is clear. I strapped my arms & tried that straight away. Wasn’t happening. So I took off the strap & did the pose (although not the astanga exit). That’s a “play” kind of pose. Whatever I feel like doing, before finishing… maybe it’ll become a habit. I used to have fun, back in the day, touching toes to the floor and then coming back. But back then I could get my toes in my driste.
The last one only four days ago! I’m doing better at keeping it in the mix. I really have to! Otherwise I get too uncomfortable.
Somehow I’ve managed to bruise my tailbone. I can’t imagine how, but it’s definitely there. I’m still a little gimpy on the left side of my body too, and I can tell I’m going to be compulsively twisting tonight. I could also definitely feel yesterday’s WO in my glutes!
- Warm-up (10/30×6=4min) jump rope
- Yoga 1:41
Almost forgot to post, not that it’d make any difference to anyone but me.
Days of typing on a goddamn iPhone is making me go f*ing crazy
Anyway: 4min jump rope intervals warmup & then basically same primary+ as last time. I discovered a sore spot in my left(!) lumbar. It’s always the right. Despite that my body felt REALLY strong.
I still am not willing to hop my feet up to the bench after the last tick, but it was a full prax.
At least I can still blog! Downloaded the iPhone app last night & logged in successfully. (It gets dicey with double authentication sometimes.Normally I copy & paste the YouTube page WO breakdowns into Text Edit, to remove the formatting .Checked my old, slow iPad Mini & it’ll play videos. I’m behind on this fantastic holiday series, but doing them in order. This is one of the scary ones. I decided to change up the order a bit, to make the rep sets a little easier for me to deal with.
by Kristin R
3 Rounds of the 5×5 set Needed to get part of this over with first. Time for just 3 rnds 21:42, Lol. Last 2 rnds took 12min, so about 34 total.
Rep Triset 12, 10, 8, 6 (time 16min)
1. Clean and press 15s 1st round. Way too light but added 2lb wrist weights for 10-round, then 20s.
2. Pull-ups SA
Rows rnd 1&2 all w band; rnd 3 – 4 w/out band; rnd 4 – 3 w/out band note 2 self, use lighter, red band next time (4 less help)
3. Staggered burpee to SA concentration curl 20lbs, 6 per arm, then 5,4,3.
HIIT 50:15×2Extra transition time so I could read iPhone breakdown.
1. SSD bent Renegade Rows, 15s
2. Weighted Squat Jump Ski Squat Swing, 10s, Weights OH 2 start. Swing down, back up & then lower down.
3. Superman pushup, T-stand dip and kick-through
4. Bicep Curl to Bicep Hold External Rotation, 10s Curl to 90, rotate out, back in & then lower.
5. DL to Clean & Press, 20s
TabataPairs: (10/20×8, w 30sec bet sets=8:30min)
1. Side plank pull overs, 10 Bring straight arm from OH 2 all the way down by side
2. Around the World, 10s
1. Seated banded Rows, blue band w handles
2. Plank Rows to Rev Grip Bent Rows, 15s
Circuit: 5×5 (Did 1st 3 rounds & beginning of WO).
1. Plank Row Burpee to bent back fly, 10s Push-up row both sides, hop fwd 4 fly. Did the 1st end as all flies, which made it harder.
2. Rev Grip Pushup + wide Bicep Curl, 10s + 2lb wrist weighs
3. Get up press up and slam, 10s
4. Deadlift to Hang Cleans (do 5 deadlifts, then 5 Hang Cleans), 20s changed to sandbag, standing on yoga blocks, for DL after rnd 1. Did all of 1 move then the next.
HIIT 30:10 x4 (8 min)
1. SA Snatch to Lateral Lunge, 20 Hold goblet style when lunging, opp leg from arm 4 the lunge.
2. Staggered Pushup – T-Stand fly, 10
3. Weighted Squat jump to alt SA row in lunge, 20 Hold goblet style 4 squat jump. Step back alt legs 4 SA row.
Time=1:29 Not bad, especially considering my mind body state today.
Tomorrow I’ll do Astanga.
I also did my morning practice (seated meditation, sephirot pranayama and LBRP. I’m being diligent about that every day up through Thursday, when I’ll do my 2nd Jupiter hexagram invocation.
Then I worked most of the day attempting to satisfy SF. I’d admired my boss’s greeting card design the other day, the one I’d discounted my hours for. To be fair to myself, the initial communication was not great, but I have to admit I’m not much of a corporate designer. This is like intensive lessons and I sometimes get paid, after a two month wait. One of my main problems is proofing, on a 15″ laptop without a color printer hooked up. I’d never try to proof via monitor at my job in NYC, and I was working on a 27″ iMac monitor then. I’m grateful for the lessons though. It’s almost like being an intern, but no agency in town is going to give me that kind of chance, even if it’s merely production art, following templates. That I could totally handle, but I’m 50. #gigeconomy
Anyway I did a full practice, same as last time except I added a 4min jump rope warm-up first. I made pretty good time today. Wasn’t a great one but it was ok and I know I’ll be better for it tomorrow.
Yesterday’s glutes WO is a new favorite, which I’ll try to remember to repeat. (Wish WP had a better search engine.) But I could feel my back getting sore on the right, maybe upper lumber or lower thoracic, about midway through. I did stretch a bit after, but I’d started later than usual and took a long time so…
TODAY’S PRACTICE: I put in a Linda style, no vinyasa ardha matseyendrasana between setu bandhasana & pashasana, going to the right first so I could twist left there & then do the left pashasana. I just barely got the bind. That’s the harder side. I’d lost the wrist bind w/ pashasana just before Miami 2012, I think. That’s one of those rare poses where if you lose it, getting a good assist once in awhile, at least once a week preferably, can help you get it back quick. Course I hadn’t had that kind of thing going on for years already, at that point. These days I’m just happy if I can bind both sides in “whatever” fashion.
Did my 1min hanuman before my very tight & cautious Kapo B thing. But I also did 1min on the rack. Got all my normal back bending in. Handstands were good today. Caught my balance on the first go all three times.
I’m still somewhat gimpy right now but I took a full five min in savasana. Used my DaVinci pressure point in two spots along my spine. I’ll be much better off for having practiced, especially by tomorrow.
I’d have had a better workout if I did some jump rope before, but I didn’t want any jumping today.
MORNING RITUALS: I also did my seated meditation and my short bit of pranayama, plus the LBRP this morning. I’m going to try to practice every day until next Thursday’s solstice, when I’m also going to make another prayer / invocation / appeal directed toward Archangel Sachiel & Jupiter. This one’s a fairly complex hexagram invocation. I’ll practice my LBRP first, then the invocation and then sit and meditate on my plea for a few minutes before closing.
I’ve worked out a completely original pranayama that’s got 10 rounds coordinated with the 10 sephirot of Kabbalah….
It appears that divine intervention is necessary for regular creative income, and the autonomy that would bring, in the Black Hole of Employment Opportunities for Female Creatives Over 40.
Yes I can. I need it, no matter if I just (make believe) walked off a red-eye flight, and crossed a time zone without sleep. Same thing.
Only slightly different from last time. I came to the conclusion that the FOH¹ is too much for me right now, with the infrequency of my full practice. It was my aversion to that which was causing my aversion to getting “on the mat”, as they say. I’m no longer using yoga practice as a means of facing up to things. It’s mindbody therapy now.
- Suryas & fundamentals: w/ the standing arches in the As, using 3lb weights on last two arches
- Primary+. Second to laghu vajra
- Hanuman, back leg strapped, single (10/60) intervals, bending back leg in as much as possible, starting @40sec
Here’s where I tried a 3rd approach to Kapotasana “research”. Instead of doing the stages in a certain amount of breaths & coming all the way out before resting before a repeat, I decided to just take however many breaths my body felt it needed / could handle at each stage, and make 2 full Kapo B attempts. For anyone who doesn’t know, this is b/c after Miami 2012, it’s been the lowering of the elbows to the floor that’s been the most problematic. Given the level of my back flexibility at present, it’s quite enough to work on walking the hands in & straightening through the arms, while trying to slow the breathing.
- Kapo B – Actually I had to make 2 attempts before I placed my hands once! Right foot started to cramp & I hadda do a counter stretch.
- Backbending – Urdhva D to stand, 3 drop backs, 3 ticks
¹ Foot on head / feet on head
Days of yore today, getting up before first light of day in order to caffeinate and get a WO in before work. I’d actually gotten my period while exercising yesterday, and my body was stiff and sore the rest of the day. (I have to admit, I do get some cramping now that I’ve started eating meat again, whereas in the years of ovo lacto vegetarianism I really did not.)
I’d planned to start w/ the 4min of jump rope, but I was also starting much earlier than usual. What my body felt like it really wanted to get ready, was some yoga, really slow. Things needed to be less about heart rate and burn and more about just getting it done.
Yoga warm-up: (not timed – weighted virasana & supta virasana, rack stretch & some other things I used to do before early morning practice, specific bodily adjustments to be kind to my mind/body & have a better time w/ my practice)
- Surya As, with standing arches- 5, paschimo & hanumanasana variations & then my body felt SO GOOD I did my 4min jump rope warm-up anyway.
Half Juggernaut Finisher 1: Time = 9:55 (w/ notes) Whenever I see this kind of thing @ the end of one of Julia’s WOs, I always split it up! There are/were 9 moves total, so I decided to get 5 out of the way early.
26 Decline Stacked feet Pushups 13/13 reps
25 weighted squat jumps 10s & ppl band (15/10 reps)
25 DL sandbag (15/10 reps)
25 Chest Press 20s Too easy! Got up after 10 & added 2lb wrist weights
25 Bench Hops (1=1) This was the only 1 I got straight thru, lol.
HIIT set 1: 30:10 x4 (8 min) Joined vid here.
1. Box jump Burpees
2. Decline Pushup Toe Touch
3. Squat & Press 20s Super tough! I was way slowed down by round 3 and groaning on every press-up round 4.
HIIT set 2: 50:10 x1 7 mins
1 Broad Jump SA Snatch 20s
2 RA bench Rows 20
3 Broad Jump SA Snatch
4 LA bench rows
5 Broad Jump SA Snatch
6 Wide pushup + superman reach
7 Broad Jump SA Snatch
No Rest Tabata: (4 min)
DB Clean & Press 20s / Plank hops, hands on weights I went half time on those plank hops until the very last 10 seconds, and then I kept pace with J, lol. Paused 4 this note & 2 c what was left. Oh my! This ended up being a long break.
Tabata Pair 1: (4 min) These pairs were like a nice rest! LOL
1. Wall Handstand Shoulder Taps Wasn’t as bad as I’d feared. I thought it’d be holding the handstand shoulder-tap thru every 20sec interval, not coming back down & all the way vertical after every 2 taps.
2. Commando Plank Jacks
Tabata pair 2: 4 min
1. ½ Manmaker Snatches 20s
2. Step Up Switch Lunges
Reps set 1 Triset: 2x
1. 10 Chest Fly Leg Lift 15s & 2lb ankle weights
2. 10 Russian twists 2=1 15 No problem w/ the ankle weights, keeping feet off floor & legs mostly straight, but it would’ve been if I’d used my 5s.
3. 10/ arm Switch foot swing Kept the ankle weights on the 1st round! Ooof. I don’t think I got it quite right either but s’ok.
Reps set 2 triset: 10 Reps – 2x Turned off vid here.
1. rev grip burpee DL 20s
2. Back Squat sandbag Is a little light. Maybe should shove 5lb ankle weights in there…
3. Pushup + Plank Hop hands on sandbag, so slightly elevated, but was lumpy & imbalanced w/ the 2 small bags. Too bad I didn’t get a medium sized bag!
Half Juggernaut Finisher 2:
25 bench leg drops abs 3lb bet feet
25 slams 20
25 renegade rows 2=1
25 Pushups This was the only set involving push-ups that I didn’t do absolutely full range-of-motion, meaning nose touching mat each rep. I did it about ½ range, moving as fast as possible.
Only a few min of yoga / stretching b/c needed to get showered b4 work.