+8lb vest, with Jesse & the vid as I was too pooped last night to bother w/ previewing.
WO starts after 10:41. I started jumping rope (for 2-3min) while J was talking but then I realised he was explaining the whole WO so hit fast FWD.
1. Wood Chopper-Right 20
2. Wood Chopper-Left
3. Tuck Jump Burpee Plank Step Out
4. Rock the Boat
5. Side Lunge Lift-Right 15s
6. Side Lunge Lift-Left
8. Side Plank Hip Tap-Right
9. Side Plank Hip Tap-Left
10. Heel-Click Surfer Burpees
11. Down Dog Side Plank-Alternating
12. Supine to Sit 15
13. Runner’s Lunge Leg Lift-Right
14. Runner’s Lunge Leg Lift-Left 15s
12 8 Minute Tabata #4 X
This is a Zgym WO (a “set” really) I hadn’t gotten to yet. 3x thru, ea moveI did it this way, instead of doing moves sequentially 1-8 & then repeating, b/c I have to leave the room to get to my pull-up bar. It’s easier to move around less when working from a breakdown.
Over the Reading PillowBoxJump
Pull-Up / Squat
Hang CleansDeadlift to Squat20s
Bird Dog / Tricep Push UpPlank. Extend 1 arm & opp leg, alt sides. Push-up.
Side Slide Lunge with SA press-up26lb kettlebell. Weight in L arm, cleaned 2 shoulder, slider under R foot. Lateral lunge RL. Back to standing. Foot off slider & SA press.
Squat Twist BurpeePush-up & jump fwd to squat. Running man lunge while twisting to the side, alt sides.
Kettlebell Swing (w/ Squat on the Out?)26lbs
Ran downstairs to basement to put laundry in the dryer. Trying to get it done before the “kids” are back for the weekend. Fed Henry. Since HR was still high I left the monitor going.
Express workout / “just do something” time! I got a great sweat because it’s 86 degrees in this room, lol. Would be great for Astanga but I didn’t want to spent 90min to an hour and 45. I might work up to that one night a week though, maybe on crap weather days.
Funny that it’s harder for me to do a short workout because I think, Oh that’s not worth it. But it IS, if I’m not getting any endorphins otherwise that day, certainly if it’s all week.
I’m thinking about trying out Zuzka’s ZGym for a month… She uses a lot of equipment I don’t have but does only very short workouts. But is it worth changing your clothes for 15-20 minutes? That is my question. Anyway I always like a Bender for a simple, clean-cut set, and this is body weight! Not bothering with getting out a ton of equipment for a quickie sounds like a good idea.
Exercises for Strong, Lean Abs – Bodyweight with Cardio Burn
30/50 (high knees as cardio) w/ vid holding HR monitor strap in place every time
Reg Burpees Walk out Plank
Back Stroke Abs
Side Plank Leg Tap Extension-Right
Side Plank Leg Tap Extension-Left
Rock the Boat with Kick
Reach Through Side Plank & Hip Dip -Right
Handstand Shoulder-Taps Down Dog Reach Through
Low Impact Jumping Jacks I hadda do SA, alt every 2, b/c of Wahoo strap being loose
Alt Pistol Squats Chair Squat Calf Raise
Wood Chopper-Right 15lb weight
(10/60 continuous intervals of 7 astanga finishing poses, a little over 8min.
Bench Hop-OversHigh KneesI find a lot of high knees boring & b/c there were some in the last set, I changed them all to three alt cardio choices I thought would be more fun for me. Changed my breakdown timer to 15/50 tho, to give me time to figure out which move I’m on w/out missing seconds of working intervals.
Jump Kick (right) / Side plank hip dips & leg lifts 2nd round – had done 3 rounds of these ea leg already
Jump Kick (left)
Mountain Climber Pushups
Heel ClicksHigh Knees building, so 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc
Doing a push-up heavy / upper body routine with a stiff neck probably wasn’t the greatest idea. I’m pretty sure it’s even worse than yesterday. My tendonitis issue in the left elbow is extra annoyed lately too, as am I.
Warm up: 30:30
1. Rev Lunge cactus arms
2. Lateral Lunge and reach
3. Swimmer arms
4. Down dog to Lunge hop
6. Walk out pushups
Strength Hiit 50:10 2x 8 mins
1. 1 & 1/2 chest press 20s
2. Upright chest press burpee 10s
3. Incline fly 15s on dinosaur (thoracic back bender)
4. Weighted walk out pushup plank hop walk back 10s
Strength Tabata Pair 4 mins 15s
1. Incline chest press dinosaur
2. Close grip press headbanger
Strength Tabata hiit 4x each move 8 mins
1. SSD chest press 20s
2. Tricep pushup bent tricep kickback 10s
3. Pushup shoulder tap, plank hop
4. Fwd lung press backs 10s
Bodyweight hiit 50:10 2x 8 mins
1. Tricep pushup to dolphin
2. 4 Repeater kickthrough 4 plank hops
3. decline tricep push-up Burpee
4. Bosu push-up and 3 mat hops (hands stay on weights Bosu) hated this move for whatever reason but I’m hating on a lot of things lately. Being hangry doesn’t help that…
Bodyweight Tabata Pair
1. Double bosubench pushup burpee I did 2 bench hops for my jump
2. Chatharunga up-dog down-dog I did plank-catarunga-updog-catarunga-downdog
Bodyweight Tabata hiit 4x each move
1. Bosu staggered pushup burpees Used weights to staggar
2. OH bench bosu toe taps 10s
3. Bosu plank jack shoulder taps
4. Walk out Pushup pulse plank hop 180
1. Plie Squat Press 10s
2. Down Dog Cross (right)
3. Down Dog Cross (left)
4. Side Lunge Lift (right) 20
5. Side Lunge Lift (left)
6. Runners Lunge Kick (right) 20
7. Runners Lunge Kick (left)
8. Leg Series (right)
9. Leg Series (left)
10. Forward Fold Stretch
I was in the mood for some Melissa Bender. She’s not posting new WOs much lately, but she does do weekly plans on her blog. I’d thought I might repeat some of the sets, but in the end I decided to just do a bunch of different stuff.
It’s funny… thinking about Julia one time saying, If it isn’t hard it’s not worth doing right? and I’ve often agreed, however, sometimes the only goal is to get moving a little, to have a definite reason to take a shower. Seriously.
1. Mountain Climbers
2. Side Lunge Kick (right)
3. Side Lunge Kick (left)
4. Mountain Climbers
5. Tricep Extension Squat
6. Tuck Jump / Bench hop-overs – 2nd round
7. Mountain Climbers
8. Temple Tap Abs
9. Plank Walk Out
10. High Knees
11. Side Plank Hip/Leg Lift (right) ppl band (orange would’ve been better for this move – ppl was a bit too heavy)
12. Side Plank Hip/Leg Lift (left)
13. High Knees
14. Rotating Hip Dips (from plank) Knee Drop Plank
15. Hip Lift Hook 3lbs bet feet
16. High Knees
+2lb ankle weights & 8lb vest
Pretty sure I did this one before, in the past. Would’ve been on an old blog.
-In/Out Squat two 20s
1. Knee Crunch Extension
2. Squat to Forward Reach
3. Bridge March
4. Squat to Side Leg Lift (right)
5. Squat to Side Leg Lift (left)
-Lunge Rotation 20
6. Side Plank Knee Rotation (right) This was hard w/ the vest & ankle weights!
7. Side Plank Knee Rotation (left)
8. High Knee Step
9. Standing Hydrant (right)
10. Standing Hydrant (left)
-Romanian Deadlift two 20s
11. Split Leg Lift (right)
12. Split Leg Lift (left)
13. Side Lunge Dumbbell Reach (alternating) 20
14. Back Raise/Extension
15. Butt Lift
W/ 2lb ankle weights & I got out two 20s, like Melissa. Loved this one! Could’ve used 5lb weights maybe, but since my right knee is a little sore (still), and I had to be really careful not to feel it in some moves today, I was happy just wearing the 2s.
1. Squat 20
2. Squatting Calf Raise
3. Pretzel (right)
4. Pretzel (left)
5. Forward Fold Leg Raise (right)
6. Forward Fold Leg Raise (left)
7. Split Squat to Warrior (right) 10s
8. Split Squat to Warrior (left)
9. Butt Lift Squat 10s (I did a bicep curl on the bottom – 15s would be better)
10. Hydrant Extension (right)
11. Hydrant Extension (left)
12. Leg Series (right)
13. Leg Series (left)
14. Sit to Stand (right) Even tho I can now do pistols I’m still really weak here. Most I normally hold in hands is 10, but since the knee thing I didn’t pick up any dumbbells, tho of course I had the ankle weights on still.
15. Sit to Stand (left)
And then, since I was only an hour in & didn’t want to think for myself, I did something I never do & followed along w/ a yoga vid, also in this week’s Bender plan. I added four astanga finishing poses after the end of it, before my savasana.
And it was supposed to happen yesterday, but I got distracted with a variety of projects and decided to take my 2nd rest day for the week. Granted I am really tired today – up periodically in the night (waking from dreams, cats, noise in the house) and got up at 5:30, which is highly unusual these days. MUCH easier to get up for ritual than 2+ hours of a ridiculously strenuous Astanga practice though, like I did for years, back in “ye old days”. I do really enjoy my greatly scaled down, when I want practice! I guess going as far as I did was useful for learning how much is really (personally) necessary or desirable.
Pretty sure I did this at one point, for time. I decided to do for reps & add some light equipment here and there. Melissa had a sore neck when she recorded this so I figured it’d be perfect for me today, lol. I did a
Level 3: 20 Reps Time on 1 round = 24:40 +8lb vest
1. Squat ppl band
2. Wall Sit Leg Lift (right) reps 10x, switch legs, then repeat These are f-ing hard! My vest made balancing harder too.
3. Wall Sit Leg Lift (left)
4. Around the World Lunge (right) 5sfront, side & backward lunge (so w/ the vest, 13 extra pounds)
5. Other side
6. Step-Up (right) +2lb ankle weights – lift back leg straight out to the back. Foot stays on bench
7. Other side
8. Split Squat (right) 20lbs
9. Other side
10. Sit to Stand (right) Was gonna hold merely 10 extra pounds & then I got here & I’m like, Nope. My little 8lb vest is quite enough added weight. And then I still hadda split it up into two sets of 10 w/ a break in the middle.
11. Sit to Stand (left)
12. Side Step Up Lift (right) +2lb ankle weights
13. Other side
14. Goddess Squat Reach (right) +2lb ankle weights. Plie squat & then come up to stand on right leg, reaching up & out w/ right hand, 5lbs in hand
15. Other side
adapted from an old BodyRock WO, 10/50. Was gonna do 2 rounds & I really should’ve, but did one, 10/30 – 6:40min
Same arm & same leg crunches, holding 5lb dumbbell
Keep legs up together & straight & press 10lbs towards them
Tuck abs w/ one ankle crossed over the other
Top leg– make splits in the air. Reach both arms straight past the outside of that leg
Reverse curls same leg on top
Tuck abs w/ other ankle crossed over the top
Top leg– make splits in the air. Reach both arms straight past the outside of that leg
Reverse curls same leg on top
Swimmers (on belly)
Timed, non-vinyasa – longer holds than usual on some poses.
I really didn’t want to do much of anything exercise-wise today.
Someone posted the first video in Julia’s group, asking if anyone had tried any of her WOs. Seems like a new channel. I previewed round one of this “for time” routine. Took her 17min 9. I decided to do my version as slow as possible, lol. Seriously, when I’m consulting a list w/ new moves, not being pushed along by a demonstrator’s pace, I can get really lackadaisical. I blame my yoga background. Slowing down, mindfulness, extreme attention to detail – these are all good things when you’re practicing asana.
Odd things of late
The yoga makes my glutes more sore than other kinds of WOs.
I’m just not as into lifting heavy right now, for whatever reason.
Lateral jump. (jump over mat) Rev lunge w/ outside leg & then side kick 12x
Running man jump shuffle, 2=1 10x punch fwd, 10x punch up (3x ea direction) 5s
Hang clean to deep squat & stand, 20s 12x
Half-way push-ups 8x followed by 5 full push-ups (2x)
Lateral Switch lunge to pistol 12x 1=1Changed this move Regretted making this harder! Managed one continual round of reps first time thru but took a little break ½way thru 2nd set.
Lie down arms pull OH & press up 15s 10x Kept dumbbells pressed together during 2nd round. Weight was a little heavy but I lived.
Plie squat, lift heels & come up, BL sandbag, 12x
Plank, knee to opp elbow & same side elbow 1=1, 12x
Time = 25:03
Then I did 3 of 4 rounds of the abs routine below. Pretty funny to realise I’d sort of tweaked my left arm during the first set I did, and then I started off this last set w/ ankle weights, swapped them for one 3lb bet feet for 2nd round but hit failure during the first move. And then when I got to an hour’s WO time I’m like, You know what? I’m done. Wasn’t curious enough about the following tabata to even look at it.
Took a rest day yesterday. I’d done five workouts already for the week, and while it’d have been nice to get in a 6-day after all those light weeks (cat shows / cold), my upper body was still really sore, especially the front of both shoulders. It hurt to roll over!
But it’s funny how when I’m making the decision to rest there’s a bit of maudlin regret, but the very next morning I’m all, Man I’d like another rest day.
Round 1: Video is a 20min no-rest set of 30/50, with high knees as the 30sec cardio before every #d move Round 2: 15/50 with jump rope before every #d move for a 32:30min set
Wood Chopper RL 15lbs
Wood Chopper LL
Side Lunge Kick RL two 15s
Side Lunge Kick LL
Plie Squat Jump 2nd round added 3lb weights
Alternating Utkatasana to Dighasana A 2nd round added 3lb weights – made a lot harder!
Hip Thrust (right) Brought my sandbag into the room thinking to do it the Julia way, but actually, doing it from table top & really trying to lift hips at the top & I feel it more, just bodyweight the Melissa way.
Hip Thrust (left)
Mountain Climber / Mat jumps for 2nd round
Toe Tap Push-up push up to alt side ankle tap in downdog
OH abs, 10lbs / Regular Sit-upsPlank Crunch
Side Plank Hip Lift (right) 2nd round add ppl band & leg lift
Side Plank Hip Lift (left)
Commando / Mat JumpsPlank to DolphinChanged only b/c moving from dolphin back up to plank can irritate my left tricep weak spot
Plank to Lunge I did mine lifting arms straight up OH2nd round added 10lb weights
Single intervals of 10/60
Virasana, Supta V weighted, 50lbs
Anjenayasana ½ arms straight OH and ½ backbend, holding 3lb weights