I had a rest day yesterday just because I thought I wasn’t going to be busy all day, delayed my workout and then was assigned a task (banner page design update). It was ok that I took one though, as I was due one more for the week and was a bit sore.
However today isn’t exactly high energy and I’ve tweaked my neck out again, a little bit, sleeping wrong. I don’t have the mental stamina for all yoga, a “real” practice, as in my current state of personal Astanga. Halfsie / halfsie. Go for easy everything, but movement and stretching. Melissa! I took her WO and doubled it w/ some barely lifting the feet jump roping.
- (15/50) w/ jump rope before every #d move = a 21:40min set.
- Sumo Squat 15s, weights on shoulders. Knees turned way out & squatting low. Moving as fast as possible w/ good form.
- Warrior Deadlift-Right 20s
- Warrior Deadlift-Left
- Bent Over Row
- Curtsy Lunge-Right
20s, leaving the curl out b/c holding 20 in ea hand
- Curtsy Lunge-Left
35lb kettlebell 29 reps
- Lawn Mower Row-Right
20 I did this the P90X way. Which is dif from the video. 18 reps ea side
- Lawn Mower Rose-Left
- Lunge to Press 10s Lunge back & then press up w/ both arms as you stand 9 ea side going over by 1/2 a rep
Then I did a search for a thigh band workout & picked one to do w/out a preview. I did it w/ the purple band from the set that Julia recommends (the only one worth having IMO). Was really killer on the upper, outer thighs especially.
Superset 1 = Squat Jacks + Hip Bridge
Superset 2 = Side Steps to Squat Jump + Standing Angled Leg Lift
Superset 3 = Cowboy Walk Forward/Backward + Clamshell
- Standing & fundamentals.
Only 2 handstands but I used 3lb weights for Surya A, 3-5.
- Some non vinyasa asana, then a single 10sec/5min headstand, minutes 2 & 4 in a backbend, the first w/ straight legs & the 2nd w/ bent. Also there was a 10sec/3min sarvangasana, so a solid 8min in static inversions.
I lightened up today’s routine
I’d been planning to do one of J’s no-equipment workouts I hadn’t gotten to yet for today, but it’s got a shit ton of push-ups and my shoulders and triceps are sore! I didn’t want to spend too much time looking for a more moderate, mostly lower body wo. And then I realized I was in the mood for a more moderate flavor.
Julia is super hardcore. I’m so-so-so grateful for her channel but I’m not always up for it! I think I’ve got a really good mix though. The Astanga is important, even if I only practice a full thing once or twice a week. I decided to do a Bender. Melissa’s really presenting WOs for the masses, people who just want to get “a little exercise”. That’s how it seems to me now. I’ve gained a lot of fitness since I first discovered HIIT, via BodyRock’s RTC or “real time challenge”, in late 2014.
Warmup: (10/30×6=4min) jump rope My added warm-up. Just a little bit of jump rope makes things so much better. Plus the WO isn’t that cardio, but I decided to do once along w/ the video, to practice the unfamiliar moves & just to have a practice buddy. She’s got a really pleasant, soothing voice too.
21 Minute Total Body Workout: Home Exercise and Fat Burn
After 4min jump rope I did the warm-up & one round along w/ the video. Then I was thinking before I’d repeat w/ sets of 30/50 jumprope & then #s moves, 15sec transition. But that half hour was good! I wanted to do some yoga. Skipped her cool down.
I should’ve done either another set tho, or the suryas & fundamentals b4 back bending. But oh well. I got a surprisingly good sweat on in the first set & a really good stretch so it’s all good. I hadn’t practiced standing arches in awhile. I’ll do a quick one in the suryas but it’s not the same as holding it 30sec a bunch of times.
- Side Squat Reach-Alternating twisting while turning & reaching
- Lateral Hop with Reach
- Forward/Backward Kick-Right
- Forward/Backward Kick-Left
- Plie Squat Side Kick-Alternating Add orange band?
WO: Blue means I changed the move
- Twister Leg Lift Sit-ups
- Squat Jump with Hammer Curl 15s
- Lunge Back & Kick-Right 20s
- Lunge Back & Kicks-Left
- High Knees
- Alt SL Deadlifts 20s
Chair Elbow Twist Decided
- Mountain Climbers
- Bulgarian-Right 15s
- Russian Kicks
- Mat Jumps
- Scissor Leg Lifts
- Pushups & Pushup Rows wide feet 20s
- Forearm plank – Jack Leg / Leg Lift
Took a long ass break while I figured out what yoga to do next. Usually I’ve got more of a plan but… Finally hit pause on my cheap ass WO timer while I got it together.
- Hanuman upright, R
- Hanuman backbend, R
- Hanuman upright, L
- Hanuman backbend, L
- Standing arch A
- Forward bend
- Stanging arch B
- Forward bend
- Standing arch C
- Standing arch C
- Seated moving twist
- Standing arch D
- Standing arch D
- Seated moving twist
- Urdhva @ wall 1
- Urdhva @ wall 2
- Urdhva @ wall 3
- Some non -vinyasa, 5-10breaths.
- 5min sirsasana
- 3min sarvangasana
- some more finishing, eka pada sirsasana, 1min savasana
Recovery workout time! I’d have take a rest day if I didn’t already do that twice this week, so a little moderate activity & stretching instead. For this format I often like to take a mini Bender routine & add on. I adapted this set by adding on a single 10/30 jump rope interval before every #d rep based move.
HIIT (& reps)
-10 reps ea move w/ the jump rope before = 19-min set. Normally I’d likely change the reps to 16, but this is just the warm-up for some easy stretching.
- Squat, Floor Tap 2, 20lb weights Coming all the way down to rest weights on floor & thighs on backs of calves
- Weighted Crunch Tap 10lbs Crunch up, holding weight up straight. Tap heels to floor.
- 1 Leg Squat (right) 2, 15lb weights Start kneeling w/ front foot in bet weights. Come to standing w/ back leg hovering.
- 1 Leg Squat (left)
- Weighted Temple Tap Abs 2=1 10lbs
- Curtsy Lunge Twist 2=1 2, 15lbs weights
- Romanian Deadlift w/ pulse @ bottom 2, 20lb weights
- Pull-ups 5 no assist & 10 w/ blue band
Bent Over Row Why not right? I haven’t practiced them awhile & in this context it’s low pressure.
- Chest Press w/ pulse @ bottom 2, 20lb weights
- Hammer Curl and Tricep Squeeze 2, 15lb weights
- Suryas & fundamentals (w/ the hand standing in suryas
- First 4 poses of primary, to ardha baddha pada paschimo (Added gomukhasana arms when I set back up from last pose, w/out moving leg in ½lotus, then jumped back) About 30min to this point & then stopped for notes.
- Then no-vinyasa twisting single intervals 10/30: ardha matseyen, marichy d, upavistha kona, parighasana, baddha kona A,
- Virasana, supta vira, malasana, uttanasana, single intervals 10/60
- Hanuman, Block A and B, Urdhva D (1min)
- 1min sirsasana (w/ 10 breaths in all the parts past the first one), sarvangasana, then finishing to matseyanasa 10breaths
I can’t believe I’m starting yet another exercise blog! Their little lives get shorter and shorter. After I got locked out of my last, public exercise (and other stuff) blog on WordPress, I swore I’d move back to where I started, Blogger in fall 2005, and stay private. Well… after WordPress I couldn’t adapt to the clunkiness of Blogger. It seems somehow like it’s much less reach and/or searchable too, though I don’t have any real sources to base that on.
Anyway I’ve been going with the aimless lately, the path of least resistance, as per Abraham, AH, Abraham-Hicks. Here I am again.
Realized in planning today’s workout that I did ashtanga TWICE last week. That’s unusual. Then I killed myself with a Fit Body by Julia workout yesterday. Today’s going to be lighter. I decided right away to do my 1/3 HIIT and 2/3 Yoga format, first part Ashtangesque and 2nd part more of an ad-lib to my favorite poses of finishing.
Adapted from Quick Total Body Sculpting HIIT Workout, but (15/50) with jump rope before every #d move for a 26min set. Plus I changed the last two moves. I’m sore and sluggish so I decided I’d jump rope as lazily as I like.
- Squat Press 30lbs (two 15s)
- Spiderman Plank Can elevate feet. Move sort of quickly.
- Runner’s Lunge Pulse-Right touch knee lightly to floor & then extend heel back for stretch. Can hold some weight.
- Runner’s Lunge Pulse-Left
- Bent Row & Kickback (didn’t wanna do a fly w/ 15s again, right after yesterday, and didn’t want to drop to my 10s)
- Table Leg Press-Right In crab, extend leg forward & then kick up, keeping hips as high as possible.
- Table Leg Press-Left
- Rock the Boat V-Up Low boat, tuck in w/ knees bent, extend legs straight & up & tap toes
- Elbow Tap Side Plank-Right Forearm side plank, tap floor & extend up
- Elbow Tap Side Plank-Left
- Frog Hopper Hip Stacker I chose a similar move that allows me to work on achieving balance & is both legs @ one time, so I added in one of my favorite ab moves for the last exercise Down Dog Hop-Right
- Pike Slider Abs
- Suryas & fundamentals
- some 10/30 intervals